Banner4

Sep 22, 2009

Asian Spa at The Fullerton in Singapore

Located on the edge of the Marina Bay, fronting the mouth of the Singapore River and flanked by the historic Cavenagh and Anderson Bridges is the Fullerton Singapore. Formerly known as the Fullerton Building, it was originally built in 1928 and was once home to the General Post Office, the Chamber of Commerce and the Singapore Town Club amongst others. In 1998, work commenced on transforming the building into a 400-room luxury boutique hotel, retaining the authentic details of its Palladian architecture and classical Doric columns. The Asian Spa at the Fullerton, designed by Hirsch & Bedner and managed by SpaCare International Pte Ltd., opened its door to rave reviews in Feb 2001.

As I set foot into the Asian Spa at Fullerton, my spirits were immediately uplifted. The use of dark wood, chic furnishings and soothing tones imparted a sense of Zen and serenity. I was greeted warmly by the spa manager, Maria who gave me a tour of the facility. At about 10,000 square feet, the Asian Spa felt intimate and personal with 11 treatment suites (3 for ladies, 4 for men, 2 for hydrotherapy and 2 for couples), a cozy relaxation lounge, female and male locker rooms, a steam bath and a sauna room. The swimming pool and gym are managed by the spa and take up another 10,000 square feet. The Asian Spa menu features a good balance of Asian and European treatments, the latter exclusively using the Phytomer range of marine-based products. The spa is managed by Spacare International Pte Ltd.

My first treatment was “Dream Bath of Flower Petals”. After changing into a swimming costume, I was taken to a dimly-lit hydrotherapy room. The gigantic tub was filled with water warmed to 38 degrees Celsius, strewn with fresh rose petals and orchids, and sprinkled with blended relaxing oils of lavender and marjoram. I floated in the water massaged by air-jets with eyes closed, ears immersed and skin lapped in the warm embrace of “bubbling” water. The pressure was not imposing and felt extremely comfortable. The 20-minute stress-busting soak was sheer bliss and made my body feel a few pounds lighter!

The next indulgence was the Traditional Lulur Wrap. A ready-blend of rice powder and flower extracts was mixed with natural yoghurt, fresh lime, fresh lemon and water to form a smooth but thick “curry-like” paste. This was then applied to my entire body, left to dry for 5 minutes, then rubbed off to polish and exfoliate. This hedonistic treatment was a skin softening elixir and certainly beat the best designer moisturizing body creams money can buy!

Getting my vote for the ultimate in “magical” spa experience was the Ocean Mud Back Treatment. Following a back rub-down, contour serum was smeared on my back to tone the skin. Room temperature water was added to ocean mud powder to form a paste. This paste, which did not feel hot initially (I swear!), was applied onto a piece of gauze lined with soft foil (to trap heat), then placed directly on my back. About a minute later, I felt a warm, sizzling and “bubbly” sensation on my back as the self heating mud started causing a frenzy of blood circulation - Maria later explained that that it was the magnesium salt in the ocean mud that caused the self-heating. While waiting for the mud to complete its job of relieving bodily aches and removing water retention, I enjoyed a replenishing hand treatment. Watching my hands “frozen” in wax after immersing them in warm paraffin was great fun!

The Asian Spa is an ideal sanctuary to retreat from the hustle and bustle of Singapore’s fast paced life. Most of the treatments here (with the exception of facials) can be completed with 45 to 60 minutes – great for busy executives! As I drove away from the stately Fullerton, I wished my office were located in the financial district of Raffles Place. “Ouch”, but the parking fee was expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment